This post may contain affiliate links. Please refer to the disclosure statement for details.
First of all, if you are reading this…Thank You! My blog adventures are written specifically to connect with you, hopefully provide you with useful information, and entertain you. Without you, my blog would not exist!
In the beginning….
2017 was an exciting year! The blog officially launched on May 29th and I really had no idea what I was in for! I thought that I would start a blog, write content and people would read it. How hard could that be!? (I can hear other bloggers laughing!)
I had thought about starting a blog many times, but didn’t know how to do it and didn’t want to invest in something I wasn’t 100% certain about. I was motivated to start when I saw a post on Facebook from Pete and Heather Reese of It’s Lovely Life titled, ‘Start a Money Making Blog’. I didn’t realize that blogging could be a source of income! If that was the case, if I could make a enough money to pay for the blog expenses, then it would be worth sharing my thoughts!
I built the site, teaching myself the in’s and out’s of WordPress using YouTube and articles written by fellow bloggers. I quickly realized that I had to get more active on social media. I didn’t even have a Twitter account at that point and barely even looked at Instagram!
Every morning was a challenge planning my day; making time for home, kids, blogging, and (oh yea) my full time job! Every evening was spent learning something new, preparing posts and trying to keep up. My husband and kids were, and continue to be, my biggest supporters.
I was hard on myself. I wasn’t getting enough views or followers or likes on social media. I was spending money and not making any, and felt guilty. My husband assured me that it will take time and you have to ‘spend money to make money’.
As time went on….
Then, I started joining groups and mom-blog pods. I couldn’t believe that there was this large blogging community across the world that came together to support each other, offer advice and help a fellow blogger in need. It was certainly a welcome surprise when I started making new friends in this new venture.
As a matter of fact, Sara at Travels with Tots helped me learn a new social media strategy today! And I’m always reaching out to Lauren at The Gabbing Ginger with all sorts of random questions and she is always happy to help.
I fumbled around (and still do) with what I should write about. Do people really want to hear about me and my struggles and successes? Do you care how I pack for a long vacation or does it help you? Does hearing about my struggles with my step-daughter give hope to others in the same position? I think about how I can use my blogging platform to help others, be it a small business or a charitable organization.
I hit a few milestones too! I reached over 5,000 followers on both Instagram and Twitter. I received my first ‘free’ products in lei of a review. And just a few days ago, I had my first paid post. I didn’t earn much, but you have start somewhere, right?
Goals for 2018
Thinking about the new year, there are so many goals that I have for the growth of The Mommy on the Move.
- Patience – To be more patient with myself and success with the blog. I know that I will be successful, I can feel it, I just have to be patient and take it one step at a time.
- Steady Income – It doesn’t have to be life changing, but it would be nice to at least be able to pay for blog expenses with blog income!
- Relationships – Build strong relationship with other bloggers and brands as well.
- Life Balance – I tend to have moments of getting caught up in blogging that I forget about everything else. Then, step away completely to refresh. I would like to be able to balance all of life’s priorities in 2018. It is going to be important to my mental health that I do that.
- Meaningful Content – As mentioned in the beginning of this article, The Mommy on the Move exists for you. In 2018, I want to continue to provide you information that is meaningful to you!
Happy New Year to all of you! 2018 is going to be amazing!